The Convention (CWC) seeks to ban chemical weapons and at the same time , it also provides for international cooperation among States Parties in the pursuit of chemistry for peaceful purposes.International cooperation is promoted in many areas: from sponsoring chemical research to guaranteeing legal assistance; from developing and improving laboratory capacity to specialized internships and training in CWC implementation and safe chemical management.
In the context of economic and technological development, Article XI of the Convention emphasises the right of Member States to engage in development and application of chemistry for purposes not prohibited under the Convention which include industrial, agricultural, research, medical, pharmaceutical, and other peaceful purposes.To promote an international cooperation among States Parties, the International Cooperation and Assistance Division implements several programmes for capacity building in the areas of peaceful applications of chemistry.
Following programmes are conducted by OPCW for promoting the international co-operation among the states parties-
- Associate Programme - Facilitates capacity building, industry-related national implementation of the CWC and promotes good practice in chemical manufacturing and safety.
- Analytical Skills Development Course - Assists qualified analytical chemists to acquire further practical experience in the analysis of chemicals related to the national implementation of the CWC.
- Conference Support Programme - Facilitates the exchange of scientific and technical information, provides financial support for the organisation of conferences, workshops and seminars on special topics relevant to the CWC and facilitates participation in such events.
- Equipment Exchange Programme - Facilitates the transfer of used and functional equipment to publicly funded laboratories and other academic institutions in developing countries from institutions in industrialised countries.
- Industry Outreach (Chemical Safety and Security Management) - Sensitises States Parties to modern approaches in safety and security management, safety culture, and promotes safety in the management and handling of chemicals, in particular in a small and medium-sized enterprises.
- Internship Support Programme - Scientists and engineers from developing countries conduct advanced research in laboratories in industrialised countries.
- Laboratory Assistance Programme - Aims at improving the technical competence of laboratories engaged in chemical analysis and monitoring.
- Research Projects Support Programme - Assists small-scale research projects in targeted countries for the development of scientific and technical knowledge in the field of chemistry for industrial, agricultural, research, medical and other peaceful purposes relevant to the CWC.
- Article XI Workshop - Explores, identifies and develops concrete measures on the full implementation of Article XI of the Convention.
- Programme to Strengthen Cooperation with Africa - Focuses on activities and interventions to respond to the particular needs of African Member States.